keep in
touch with WHAT's ON...

ridetheg.com.au

 

News and media

Browse the history of Queensland’s first light rail system here. You can filter the news stories and media statements by clicking on a category – the relevant categories appear at the end of each news story and media statement.

3 for 3A: shortlist for trams to Burleigh

Monday, February 03, 2020
More than 760 jobs are on the cards for Gold Coasters with three proponents shortlisted to build the much-anticipated light rail extension to Burleigh Heads.


GoldlinQ, who currently operates the light rail, will now invite the three proponents to proceed to the ‘request for tender’ phase putting the project on-track to begin construction this year.


Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said light rail has become been a major job-creating project for Australia’s sixth largest city, and expected the construction of Stage 3A to be much the same.


“Gold Coasters and people from across the world have embraced the G, with more than 46 million trips taken since stage one opened five years ago,” Mr Bailey said.


The shortlist announcement follows last year’s $351 million investment by the Palaszczuk Labor Government plus $269 million pledge by the Federal Government and council’s $92 million commitment.


“After securing increased, fast-tracked funding just months ago, we’re getting on with the job of building Light Rail 3A, creating jobs and the fast-tracking the economy.


“The Gold Coast is hungry for public transport with light rail patronage increasing 33 per cent since we built and opened stage 2.”


Stage 3A will see a 6.7km extension of the light rail system from Broadbeach South to Burleigh Heads, including eight new stations and the procurement of additional light rail vehicles.


GoldlinQ Chairman John Witheriff said each of the shortlisted tenderers was highly experienced construction contractors.


“EOI submissions include leading Australian and international contractors and the responses were of a very high standard,” Mr Witheriff said.


“With funding for the project committed by all three tiers of government, the GoldlinQ board met on Friday 31 January to complete the EOI phase and confirm the shortlist for tender.


“The request for tender period will start immediately and continue for several months to ensure the successful contractor can deliver value for money and minimise disruption during construction.”


Mr Witheriff said the request for tender phase would conclude in May 2020 with the intention of appointing a preferred contractor in the second half of 2020.


“The start of the tender process is a significant step towards ensuring passengers could ride the G: to Burleigh in 2023,” he said.


“During the tender period, the project team will keep the community informed on progress with major construction expected to start in 2021.”  
 
The preferred shortlist of respondents are:


Burleigh Link JV: a joint venture between Fulton Hogan Construction Pty Ltd and UGL Engineering Pty Ltd;
CPBSW JV: a joint venture between CPB Contractors Pty Ltd and Seymour Whyte Constructions Pty Ltd; 
John Holland Pty Ltd.


Stage 3A alignment maps and reference materials are available on the State Government and GoldlinQ web sites; www.tmr.qld.gov.au or www.goldlinq.com.au 


 

Instagram